Saturday, September 24, 2005

Very productive morning

Spent the morning as planned turning the compost with the tractor, all went well, only almost went through the fence twice! Took around 4 hours all up, and next time I think I shall move the compost to the middle of the paddock instead of beside a fence where I can only get at it from a few angles.
The lambs are all still alive and healthy. We have now verified that the first two lambs (from "Not pretty but pregnant") are both rams, we were hoping for ewes but it turns out that they might have a black spot (which makes their fleece worth less), so eating them is the next best thing! As for the splotty (yes it is a matthew-ism, but would make a good scrabble word all the same, feel free to use it!) lamb, it looks like it's a ewe, so it will probably end up being a pet thing. I always said I would get a Dalmation, didn't think it would be a sheep though. The other lamb, we're still undecided as to the sex of it.
Once Alex comes up with a suitable (not beef, chicken or any other type of animal, whilst slightly funny, I'm not shouting "come here Cow" when we only have sheep in a paddock!) name for the splotty one it will be named!

Lunch time here now so I'll have me cup of tea, and then head into town (we're out of food). This afternoon Steph's going to try to ride, and I might head down to the lathe, so there should be another post this afternoon (with some new photos of the lambs, and Steph riding maybe!)

No comments: