Friday, September 09, 2005

Shearing - The day before

Well, I came home early so as to bring the sheep up and put them in the pens, so that if I was unable to finish cleaning the shed and building a set of three pens, Steph and I could move them this evening under halogen lights. Thankfully, I managed to get the shed clean, three yards built out of gates, and a drafting system between the three pens and the empty bay where Paul (the shearer) is going to do his stuff.


Rounding the rams and ewes into the outside yards was suprising easy this time, normally it takes two of us because the layout of the yards and the shed and arena make it really easy for them to run away, and us not to be able to catch up on the "Honda Huntaway". Anyway, once they were in the yards, I started cleaning, and after that, who comes to vist but Mikey (the goat who had the worst foot rot), anyway, with a bit of help (and for once it really was help) from Strider, I managed to coax the three goats into the back pen (disproportionally large, but oh well), and there they are staying for the night. Next came the making of the other pens, nothing of interest there, but then I had to get the sheep from the yards into the pens, only about 20m apart, but I had to use our trailer and bike. Now that sounds easy but the sheep are really relucant about getting in the trailer (normally they see one/two or three go in, and they never come home :-)! ) Then I decided I would throw Strider into the mix and put him in behind the rams, and once more he suprised me buy just standing there stopping them leaving and barking (which was what I was hoping for!). He got really excited and ended up sounding like his balls haven't dropped, quite funny really. Anyway same thing with the ewes (except DevilSpawn (our little black ewe) got her horns stuck in the netting, and Strinder did not know what to do 'cause he was stuck on the other side.....The are all now in the shed, waiting to be stripped tomorrow, then we just have to decide what to do with the remaining 5 rams, maybe the sales or maybe our freezer for a years supply of lamb.


2 comments:

Matthew said...

my puppy can't help it if he sounds like his balls haven't dropped, they were removed!!!!!

Matthew said...

that was Steph talking