Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The last day of the holiday (and other stuff)




OK, a bit over due, but I had written something, but I forgot to save it, and consequently I lost it! Anyway, what did we do on Tuesday...The morning started with me down in the workshop nice and early on my project, prep-ing some more timber. Being typical holiday weather is was piddling down with rain, and we knew we had on of last years lambs to catch, yuck wet wool! After an hour or so in the workshop I went back up to the house, and Steph was just getting up, so after breakfast etc we waited for a fine spell and went out to catch the lamb. After a few rounds of the paddock, and not wanting to go into the race (where we could pen them) he slipped and at that point I ran in and grabbed him. Not the conventinal way to catch sheep, but it worked. Then I noticed a small problem in our plan, the stock crate was a good 80m away, and he was too big to carry. I ended up sitting on him, legs either side, arm around throat with Steph encouraging him to move forward, a few minutes later he was up and in the crate ready to go on a trip..
After dropping him off to Parkvale, we went into Masterton as there were a few bits I needed. After messing around in town for an hour or two, we headed home.
Once home I spent the afternoon, once more, down in the workshop building my project. It's still only parts, but it's coming along nicely, meanwhile Steph crashed infront of the TV with her horse tack, and spent a movie cleaning it ready for the saddle fitting clinic this weekend.

And in other news today.....Last night, as SnowWhite still had not made a nest, I decided to tweak the nesting box slightly, instead of just having an open topped box, I mounted the two boxes ontop of one another, and this morning there is a big nest made inside, so I expect she will drop today or tomorrow, if she hasn't dropped by this evening, I might set up the video camera, could be interesting.

On the tanning side, the lambs have now been in a pickle for 3 days, their not quite ready yet, but D.S. will need resalting this evening, and then one more salting, then she goes in the pickle (once dried and then rehydrated). We pick up the ram lambs fleece from Parkvale this evening, my tanning freezer is starting to get a bit full, I already have three sheep in there! I guess I need to catch up a bit.

Oh, a few photos for today, the new nursary rabbit hutch, the lambs in the pickle, and D.S. salting.

No comments: