Sunday, August 13, 2006

Bad News

Unfortunalty yesterday, Devil Spawn had got worse, she was unable to reposition her self, and was not showing any signs of improving, so I phoned John (one of our neighbours), and he came over and shot her for us. After which I promptly skinned her, and did a very rough autopsy and she had intensive rotting about a hand lengths in, not pleasant....Oh well in the end we did the right thing, oh the other thing I noticed was her pelvis was very very tiny, In retrospect and with the knowledge of her pelvis size, maybe breeding her was a mistake.
After skinning, fleshing the hide (which is probably the best fleshing I've done), and digging the hole (and putting her head somewhere separate so we can get the horns!) we had lunch, and then I started on the job I was intending to do, which was set up the fish tank. After cleaning 240kg of river pebbles, and heaving a massive bit of driftwood in and about a dozen big boulders, the tank is looking really murky (I was intending typing "cool", but it's not yet, give it a day or to with the filter for that, and then I'll start heating it and thinking about planting it out.
Today I will hopefully get down into the workshop and cleanup after making the manger (photos are now on the camera, so they are getting closer), and I'm going to start pickling the lambs hides (first you dry them out with salt, rehydrate them in brine solution, pickle them in acid, and then tan them in another really salty solution with something else added), Devil Spawn will probably go in the pickle in about a week's time.
Anyway, time for a nice cup of tea.

No comments: