Sunday, October 30, 2005

And another weekend

Hmm, what did we do this weekend....On Friday afternoon, after doing my work I headed into Masterton to pay the bills etc, and visit Norwoods (a tractor place) regarding the PTO converter I bought a while ago as it had a few splines shattered off it after using it three times! It turns out that it's due to there being a bit of movement in the roll pin and the impulse force is too great for the thin metal, the solution is a new PTO drive shaft for the tractor. So today (Monday) I'll order that, and hopefully fit it on Saturday. Whilst in town I bought myself a nice set of hand files for wood carving, and a cheap dremel imitation hoping to use the flexi-shaft with my dremel, but unfortunatly it didn't fit, so now we have a spare dremel-like tool, this one can be put aside for stock work I think.
On Saturday I thought we would bring the sheep in, so we could get some good photos of the lambs, and check their feet etc, but after two failed attempts of rounding them up, we gave up and decided just to do the goats hooves as the queen was quite lame (again), it turned out that she had scald (due to the wet grass rubbing between the toes and making it raw). We treated the hoove, and then trimmed the feet of the other goats aswell. Also since Markissa has been in a small area behind the water tanks we decided to put her back in one of the paddocks so she could get some grass again, Steph put her down there and erected a electric fence to restrict her eating and to make the grass last longer.
In the afternoon we heading back into Masterton to pick up my watch (the one Grandma gave me for my 18th) as I had broken the adjustment dial and had just got it repaired, also there was a craft show in town so we had a look at that, which was very so-so.
That evening we watched Batman Begins, I wasn't expecting much, but it was quite watchable.
On Sunday morning I had planned to get up bright and early, and whilst Steph was having a lie-in, clean up the workshop, but alas plans never quite go as expected, and it was I who had the lie-in! Anyway once we eventually got out of bed we decided that at some stage very soon we will need to organise getting the fencing in the paddocks done. We planned to head down later in the day and mark out with electric fence tape where the fences are going to go. Since one of the "drums" of tape is actually an old feed bin with the tape wrapped around it, and it's not particularly functional, I decided to make a new drum, two bits of ply and three bolts later we had a nice new electric fence drum.
Once the fencing tape was all nicely on the drum Steph and I laid out the fencing and worked out how many stays,strainers and fence posts we need, 5 strainers, 7 stays, and 7 fence posts plus about 50 metres of fence netting and some gudgeons. I'll buy all this on the weekend, and hopefully get the fence done.
With that all out of the way, I waterblasted the bike whilst Steph was mowing the lawns. All tired and hungry we headed into Carterton for lunch and to look at the A&P show, there was a good tractor parade with one Fergy like ours. Whilst wandering around I saw a stand doing chainsaw carving, I managed to acquire a few piece of orange-heart macrocarpa for turning.
When we got back, I stripped one of the rimu walls we were given and cleaned up the workshop.
Ah at the trainstation. Till later..

No comments: