Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Preparations

Well, Christmas eve is here, and for Steph and I this year, whilst being Connor's first Christmas, will be little more than a day off work, coupled with on massive BBQ (for 6 people!).

We've spent the last two days building a modification for the BBQ to turn it into a spit roaster, made out of bits left over from when the shed was made, I've almost finished it, just got the front to add and one bracket to weld on.  Photos on Christmas day.

This evening is D-Day for spit-roast, I measured him the other day, he was 44 inches long (1.11m long) and stands 21 inches(53 cm) high at the shoulder, as you can imagine, that ain't going to fit in the BBQ, so on Saturday I bought myself a bone saw, and we're going take the best bits off and roast that...So no pig with apple in the mouth :-(

Not really looking forward to "doing" (my euphemism for slaughter and gut) him, as I've never done a pig before, and he is quite strong, has big teeth, and sharp toes! Hopefully no injurys tonight. I'm going to get Andy to shoot it whilst I'm on the back legs holding it like a wheelbarrow, and be ready with the knife for sticking it.  Steph will be on the camera (I'll do the same as the sheep slaughter and put the photos off the main page, I know it isn't everyone's cup of tea).

I've got till the 7th off work this year, and unfortunatly there is an equally long list of things to do around here, the main one being dig down to the septic tank and get it emptied, only one snag, I built a deck over it!  I knew it was there and moved poles etc to allow me to put a trapdoor in later, I guess now is later!

Connor now has 4 teeth, and is trying them out on everything (except Steph to her delight).

Anyway, Connor wants some attention, so till tomorrow...Have a good and safe christmas.

No comments: