Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Farms, Early hunting trips, fire and turkeys!

Well, this is really a entry for the weekend and today (or lunch time anyway!)

Early last week I got another response from the advert in the local newletter requesting hunting access, so on Saturday morning, Andy and I headed out to Stronvar to look at this block, a whopping 2100 acres, needless to say, it's huge. We spent an hour going around it on a bike, and only covered about 2/3 of it. Because the block borders on some forest, there is a chance of some pig too, which would be pretty neat. We got permission to take rabbits, hares, pigs, possum, turkeys, paradise duck and geese. We're hoping to get out this weekend for an afternoon hunt and hopefully bag a few hares for some hare sausage.

Going around that farm took up most of the morning, and then in the afternoon Jules and Andy had a bonfire, so I helped them clean up an area of their paddock with the tractor, not much but the tractor made light work of destroying a wasp nest!.

Later in the afternoon (close to dark), we brought the sheep in and weighed them once more (I had spent some time that morning calibrating the scales and making a flat section beside the race for the scales to sit on). Now they are all up to weight, they are off to the yards tomorrow hopefully.

On Sunday morning, I got up around 4:19am and headed down towards Ngawi for a hunt, upon getting there I discovered the river I was going to walk up, was private property, so I gave Steph and ring and then headed up another stream bed, unfortunatly I discovered that the area had recently been 1080'ed, so I could take any deer I saw. A little bit in, I discovered some stag sign, some really wide spread hoof prints, and some thrashing on the trees, so they are there!

A bit more walking and I discovered a nice little side gully, and had a hunt up there, and found a really nice spot, but also found a dead deer!

After that the weather started downwards, so I hiked out along a track I found. I ended up getting back to Littlebush around 11am feeling slightly tired.

That afternoon we weighed the pigs, and they are improving nicely, and the around 3pm we decided that we would finally cleanup the fallen gum branches in John's paddock, so we heaved them on the back of the trailer and took them over to the still burning bonfire.

And now for the photo..this lunch time I decided to check mail, and whilst I was at the end of the driveway, I saw a group of wild turkeys jump into our neighbours property, so I headed home, got the .22 and knocked over the cock turkey, I figure take the lead male so that the females and continue producing for next year, he'll be a bit tough, but cook him slowly with lots of bacon to keep him moist, might make a meal yet...there is certainly enough of him!


Posted by Picasa

No comments: