Saturday, June 23, 2007

Bit of a catch up

It's been a couple of weeks since I last gave you a full update, and whilst it's only Saturday, I've just managed to get Connor to lie down for a bit (it's amazing what 80's music can do when it's louder than his crying!, but saying that he is now fast asleep).



He's currently enjoying Harold Faltermeyer and Axel F, a true classic.



As you can see from the previous photo, he's doing well and has mastered smiling and making cute noises, hopefully soon I'll catch some on video.  He was weighed the other day (finally got a plunket nurse), and just before the 6 week mark he was 11lb and something, or 5.12Kg.  Despite the amount that comes out the far end, going by that weight gain, some of it must be staying around!.



Thankfully he's still sticking to his night time routine of only waking once around 2am.



Anyway, what else is happening down on the farm...The goat is still alive, she's eating well, slowly getting motor functions in her back legs, but the front is taking a bit longer.



Last week, as we're so desperate for grass, I fenced off all around the arena, and we're now grazing all the way around except for near the flaxes, hopefully  that will hold the sheep and alpacas out for a few more days.



The rest of the goats are still out the back, and very low on grass, we're having to feed out hay every night, and it's the first time ever we've had to do this, bloody dry summers!



I've finally started tanning the rabbit hides, I've just got 9 hides out of the pickle and will flesh them after writing this, so hopefully they will be drying for Wednesday, when I'll kick the rest off. Not sure what I'm going to do, maybe make a bedspread or a coat for Steph, we'll see.



Today was quite productive, this morning Connor was having a bad morning (read Steph was having a bad morning), so I took Connor into Masterton when I went to pick up the chainsaw, he slept all the way in and back thankfully.



Once I got home, I got into the trees on the back lawn, I've only got a few boughs left to chop up, and now it's much better, I'll post photos tomorrow, it's a bit dark now.  It's going to be one massive bonfire, the pile of branches is about 2m high, 2m wide, about 5m long, and that's only 1 of them, there is another pile about 3x2x2m and another collection too! Might have to start that burn in the morning, but we can't burn that until I've got the 3 wire electric fence done down in the 3 tree paddock (our only paddock with grass left in at the moment). Hopefully tomorrow I'll sink a few posts and get the fence up so we can strip grass it with the alpacas, goats and sheep!  I'll be glad once we get rid of the alpacas; last night I even considered if they would taste good!



Anyway, time to flesh some bunnies.







Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: