Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Bunny Update

Well as you can see, the little one is still alive. When I got home, I had another look at the leg, and discovered that the foot was very swollen and hot (not a good sign), and the bone was sticking out!.
Options, well euthanasia (I have CO2 which works well) was one option, or the other was to amputate. The kit was very perky and not too disturbed by my manipulating the foot, so I got a clean scalpel and a pair of scissors, and tipped the kit upside down, elongated the back leg, and snipped the foot off. At this stage I was not feeling that great!
I quickly cleaned it up with iodine, and stuck a sticky plaster on it, then put it in a box out of the way so I could keep an eye on it until the bleeding stopped.
After speaking with a vet friend overseas I admistered a few drops of intracillin, it needed about 0.06ml, it was a real bugger to inject (which is probably a good thing!)
Anyway, it survived all that, and then about a few hours later, I caught one of our cats trying to eat the poor thing.... Jag the little sh!? had the lid off and was trying to catch it, but it kept hopping out the way!!!!!Jag got a timely shove off the bench.
Anyway, it's now out with Mom, and when I last looked it was hopping around the nest box and looking out the door. It's certainly got spirit! I have a feeling that if it survives, it won't end up in the freezer.

  Posted by Picasa

No comments: