Saturday, December 03, 2005

Fencing (again)

Friday was a really good day, started nice and early doing Metservice stuff, I had a reasonably difficult bit of code to suss out, and thankfully, by the end of it, it worked (albeit 1 bug which I need help on). After that I drove to town to pick up the weekly food shopping (and for once, no timber!). Upon getting home, since it was clouding over, I thought I would get into the ramming of the few posts left over from the last weekend when our efforts were thwarted by the rain. By around 4pm I had all that done, and moved on into the shed to finish my new saw bench - another hour and a half and that was all done, and I started cleaning up the massive mess I had made over the last week or two!
Around 6pm the sprayer guy (Bruce) came around and put down 3 litres of MCPA (a selective weed killer) over the hectare of new grass, then Steph finally got home, and we sat down for dinner and a movie.

Today has also be really productive, we were down in the paddock by 8am doing stays, we had three to do and by 11am we had all three stays in place and the 8 permanant strainers all tied in and ready to go. After a late morning tea we tensioned up the opposing L shaped fence to the last time (another 97ish metres) - so we now have 1 third of our race, and it's useable!. That took us about another two hours or so, and then it was lunch time. After lunch there was the last edge of the paddock the the first L shaped fence formed. It was only about 50m of fencing so we reused the netting of one of the fences we had pulled down, and just for fun, I found out how fast I could tie in a permanant strainer (two knots in high tensile wire, 1 around a post and another around a cast metal contraption) - it took around 1 minute and 42 seconds.
Anyway, a while later that fence was all done, and the only thing missing was the gates (we done the first gate last weekend I think). So with our new batteries for my drill (it was cheaper to buy a new drill + 2 batteries than it was to buy a new battery!) I made the holes for the gudgeons and hung the gates. It looks really cool (in a farmey sort of way; photos tomorrow, I'm relaxing, and I might even have a whiskey, I've ran out of port :-(

So, when we moved on there were 7 paddocks - 8 fences; only 2 of those fences remain, and we're down to 6 paddocks (the areana takes up one) - and only 1 paddock at the moment is in it's finally (well close to, we haven't put the top electric wire on, and the water is properly done yet) state. Still a fair bit of work to do, but at least all the timber is already paid for, just netting to get (and probably more staples - by the 5kg lot!)

Anyway, must almost be time for me to finish up and do some tea.

No comments: