Sunday, October 02, 2005

Home Gardening with a Tractor - How to

First thing this morning I decided that I would get the tractor and clean up some trunks that we had left by the back garage for chainsawing, but the tractor was very reluctant to start, I was very annoyed - I even took the truck down and used jumper cables from the truck, but it just wouldn't turn. After trying with the crank handle and still having now joy, I gave up and resigned myself to ringing the guy we bought it off and having a whinge . but the job still needed to be done, so instead of just picking the trunks up and tossing them in another resting spot, Steph and I chainsawed them into firewood, and a few slabs for turning. After working up a bit of a sweat we decided it was time for coffee, after which Steph wanted to play with Markissa (one day she's going to do a entry...) I decided that our battery charger wasn't grunty enough to charge the truck/tractor batteries, so I then headed into town to pick one up. Took the boys along for the ride aswell.
I stuck the battery on charge as soon as I got back and after a few hours at 6 amp/hours it was 50% charged - whilst it was charging I carried on with a Macrocarpa bowl I'm turning, just to the sanding stage at the moment. At around 4pm, I thought I would try the tractor again, and with the battery at 50% the tractor started straight away! So I quickly got onto the cleaning up of the sawdust and the dead leaves etc from where the trunks were and then I tried using the FEL (front end loader) for weeding! Well there were weeds growing along the edges of the flower beds and I had the huge mechanical hoe, why not I thought. The first attempt went really well, then I tried over in the BBQ area, well....The ground isn't quite flat and I found out that the dirt underneath the lime is brown! And I dug a hole with the wheel 'cause I didn't realise I had it in gear whilst trying to lift the FEL, it was too heavy, but the wheel just spun. Thankfully that area is on the list for redevelopment (paving slabs). The other development that I might do soon because it should be cheap and easy, and make a big difference is put up a trellace giving us a front garden/lawn/BBQ area and then a back section for car parking etc.

Oh the photo above is "Peggy Brown", she is one of the "mated pair" that is the mascot of Steph's work. But as you can see the grass is growing quite well, we had a look yesterday and it was still just popping through, but today there are green lines through the paddock!

That's all for today.

No comments: