Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Weekend

Yep, as you can see I got my final revenge on the goat, as we're heading for a very dry summer (already the paddocks are looking like mid Jan) we figured we should shed some stock, so bitchy goat was first on the list. I tried to butcher it myself, and it is a lot harder than I first thought. I have since found a video on how to do it, and I made so many mistakes (well, I went wrong from the first step!) Oh well, I know for next time.

Other than that, on Saturday, I took Connor into Masterton and around so Steph could have a break (and ride the horse), and then in the afternoon I weighed the pigs, and they came in at between 70 and 80Kgs, so this Sunday they are off the get "fabricated" (an interesting euphemism I found on http://www.freshcanadianlamb.ca/video_guide.html, where there are lots of video clips on how to butcher a lamb carcass).

Anyway, we also booked our replacement pigs, and I collect them on Sunday too, we're getting two wild type pigs, so as to compare conversion ratios etc.

On Saturday evening, Andy and I went into Nigels farm for a hunt and came home with 5 hares, and 1 rabbit. The rabbit was quite funny. We were driving along the race side by side on the quads, and I told Andy that I would spotlight, and he would shoot. After a few minutes I spot a bunny, and quickly stop, inform Andy of it's where-abouts and off we go. Unfortunately Andy mis-understood where I said it was, and we ended up quite close, and he missed! Whilst we were keeping the spot light on the rabbit, it started hopping even closer to us (It wanted to follow the light). Eventually it was about 1m in front of the bikes, and it was only a young one (a few months, best eating), and Andy suggested letting it get away, but since it was mesmerized by the light, I passed the spotlight over to Andy, and told him to keep it on it. Meanwhile I walked around behind it and pounced on it, and dispatched it. Unfortunately it bounced out of the bin I have on the front of the bike, so we missed out on bunny in the end. But we got home around 12:30, and all in all it was a good hunt, esp with the mad 10 minutes where we say three hares one after another.
The cats were glad we did so well, they now have cat food for the next few weeks.

On Sunday we did things like mowing lawns etc, and basically had a quiet day.

Phew, up to date. Now for some Connor shots.

No comments: