Sunday, December 16, 2007

Another hot weekend

Well, summer is certainly here, the paddocks are drying up, and the sun is blistering fierce, and it's not even January yet! On Saturday, I had the great idea of building the pig crush for next weekend when I have to cull spit roast (as we're doing it ourselves), but whilst I was down in the race thinking about how I was to do it, I had a case of "sparkles", which means I can't see, and it typically followed up with a massive headache...that was Saturday dealt to, all day was spent either asleep, with my eye closed or feeling like crap.
Today was a bit better, we got out nice and early and brought to goats in, they needed a drench and a hoof trim, whilst they were in I checked them over for suitable for the freezer, and a few looked quite good, especially the kids (because they will easily fit in my chiller).
After that the day got too hot, and apart from a few sessions of catching piglets that escaped the pig pen, not much else was achieved.

Oh we got our pork back, around 55Kg all up, so far we got 22kg of chops, 9 kgs of roasts and 5 kg of belly strips, tasty, and I'm really looking forward to the bacon next week....So far it's worked out about $6/kg, which over here is pretty good (good bacon is $20 to $30/kg and good roasts or chops are upwards from $12/kg.

There wasn't much difference in flavour from Wessex saddlebacks to the Large Whites, and the large white didn't go to fat so fast (these pigs were quite fatty). Next we have wild type pork..That should be quite a bit leaner.

Oh well, till next time, and I will make sure that if I don't post before Christmas, there will be copious amounts of photos (probably more of the spit roast than of Connor though)..

Have a great christmas..

No comments: