Monday, June 19, 2006

Catchup

Ah, once more I've been very lazy about blogging, in my defense we've only just got the projector back (hence blogging from the lounge on a Sunday afternoon can continue), and what with it being winter, not a great deal is happening. But to fill in a few blanks with what we've been up to recently. Firstly all the animals are fine, one of our sheep died a few weeks ago, not sure why, du if you have livestock, at some point, you always have deadstock!. The weekend following I buried it in the paddock where I've been tilling it over ready for spring, well I dug a big hole, threw it in and then started filling it back in. I decided that it would probably be easy using the tractor and the FEL to push the dirt back in - dumb idea. It was fine until I also thought that going over the top with the rotavator was a good idea. The soil was ofcourse uncompacted and the front of the tractor fell into the hole and it took a fair bit of jiggling around to get the tractor out...Later that weekend I had to use the tractor to drag the neighbours ute out of a paddock 'cause he also got stuck, the boys had a great time running around rounding up the cows and Gandalf was espcially pleased when he found an entire sheep carcase...so many bones just for him! He wasn't too impressed when I called him away from it.
We've sent another two lambs off the the big freezer in the sky, and we should be getting them back on Wednesday, along with the hides. Oh, I finished tanning Winston, and he made quite a nice rug, and I also tanned the lamb we used for suasages, the leather came out really even, but not quite supple enough, maybe I didn't use enough leather lube. The only downside with the tanning method at the moment is that it uses chrominum as it's main thing, and it stains the fleece slightly blue, the next hide I'm going to try washing/soaking in sulphuric acid for a day to try and remove the chrome color.

Hopefully on Wednesday or Thursday Snowwhite and Hollywood will have babies, during the weekend I made two nesting boxes out of plywood and now it's just a case of seeing if they drop!

Hm, what else...we've moved the goats onto a neighbours paddock as it's hiller and dryer, which is better for their feet. Hopefully they'll do well over there, and we're going to move the rest of the lambs overthere next weekend, we need to get a little bit more weight on them before we move them on permanantly, and Jenny (our nieghbour) where they have been grazing has finally sold and has 4 weeks.

On the tank front, the Co2 controller has some hardware issues, and I need to rebuild it. I'm going to design a PCB for it, and hope that sovles some of the issues. I've yet to do anything regarding getting the internal glasswork ready either, ah, time is short....

That reminds me this Wednesday is special to Steph and I, it's the shortest day of the year, so it means it only gets better from then on....(and of course, happy birthday to Sophie (if I remember correctly)).

Well that basically fills in all the blanks....

Till next time (hopefully this weekend if something exciting (like baby rabbits) happens).

No comments: