Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Yikes, it's been ages since I last blogged

Well since that success hunt, much has happened, I've had many more hunts along the same sort of success rates, week before last I was out most evening's because I was trialling out new quad bikes (our trike broke, and isn't worth fixing, so we were looking at a quad, and to try them out I was taking them out for hunts and typically covering them with bunny blood!
Also I've attended a bush craft course for the last few weekends, finishing with a goat hunt last weekend, I took my .308 and didn't hit anything (well, we didn't actually see any goats in a position that they could be shot.


Since it's been so long, I won't try and cover things in any chronological way, but here's what's happened recently.


We've finally got the goats and the sheep shorn, and actually broke even on the sheep which is most unusual for a small flock at the moment. All in all the shear went well, and for 4 flocks (our two, and the two neighbors flocks) it was all done in a few hours. It allowed us to evaluate the two angora does who were quite light in the frame much better 'cause there is no fleece to hide it all (or lack there of). Thy are now on good lush paddock and doing much better (spring has finally hit with vengeance, the temp's are soaring, and grass is growing like no tomorrow. We're hoping for a bit more rain because at the moment we've had no where near enough, but that ain't anything we can do about it now!


Also, all the ewe lambs we got in, have finally been moved on, which further reduces our grass burden, and we're left with 1 ewe and lamb, and one really scraggly one (which I'll probably donk on the head in a few weeks time)


Something I have forgot to mention is that we now have 4 pigs, the three wessex saddlebacks, and now we've got a little pink piglet which we're raising for Christmas dinner, Andy's going to to build a spit roast and then on Christmas eve, we'll "prepare" "Spit roast" (it's name) for the next day, and it should be a bloody good BBQ!
Little "Spit Roast" kept getting out and walking around the garden looking for Steph to feed it, so we've now electrified the pig pen, but I'm thinking that I won't have 4 pigs again, that many do smell, and it's quite close to the house. I might do a bit of fencing, and reduce their paddock in half and that way they will be further away from the house even more.
Anyway, I'll wait till these pigs are moved on, and then we'll get 2 pigs for our selves again.


For the last few days Steph and I have been out at Tora staying in a bach with some friends. The weekend was spent resting (well trying to anyway), and went for a nice walk along the coast with Connor (whilst Steph slept), had an explore in the coastal farm behind the bach on the bike, shot a hare (which I'm turning into hare jerky as I type). Also did a spot of snorkelling, and saw an octopus, some fish, and harvested some Paua which I cooked up for tea last night, very yummy!


Well, that's about us all up to date (oh we've had another litter of bunnies born, and they are growing well, and they are out for ginger bunny and her dad, and we have some ginger babies too!


Now to put up some more photos etc.

No comments: